Friday, November 5, 2010

Ugly Bedroom Furniture Redone!

Sorry I have been lagging behind on my posts.  I've been so busy with the renos, and my fingers have been constantly covered in paint, I didn't dare to touch my keyboard.

Here's my newest project, my ugly olive-green French Provincial bedroom set.  It made me feel sea sick to stare at it, but I knew it was a diamond in the ruff.  At first, I wanted to stain it chocolate brown, but two months worth of inhaling paint-remover fumes yielded little results (see half-stripped drawers).

 

A coat of aerosol primer (Painter's Touch by Rustoleum is my fave) helped cover up some of the hideous pea-soup green color.

I then gave 4 solid coats of Heirloom White (also by Rustoleum) on the surface.  As you can see, I'm more of a night owl than an early bird!

The handles were still kinda gross and dated, and I desperately wanted to find some cute antique-y cup handles, but sadly couldn't find any that had screws 3 1/2 inches apart, so I crossed my fingers and gave them a refreshing coat of paint too.

I had to scrub the hell out of them first to make sure the paint adhered properly.

I used Satin Nickel and LOVED the results.
And here is the (almost) finished result!

I plan on rubbing a bit of brown pain in the crevasses to give it a nice shabby chic look, I just need to figure out how first!  I'll post pics when I get around to that part, but for now, I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the results.

With this dresser, I also inherited a night table and vanity and bench, but by the time I got around to it, it was too cold outside to spray paint.  Hooray, Canadian weather!  I'll do it in the spring and post some pics then.

No comments:

Post a Comment